Friday morning, we get wall-to-wall interviews and talk about game 1 of the Habs-Caps series on CKAC:
Former coach Bob Hartley:
Former coach Michel Therrien:
- We all talk about Ovie’s no SOG but Mike Green didn’t do anything either. The Habs neutralized both Ovie and the whole Caps’ D squad.
- The key with stars like Ovie is to keep them out of their comfort zone.
- The Caps aren’t the best team in the league but the team with the most talent; it’s two different things.
- If I was Bruce Boudreau, I’d try to match Ovechkin against Gomez. He doesn’t speak French so no worries that he’ll get this secret.
- Montreal’s only weak point, last night, was faceoffs. [60-something% to Caps]
- Prediction for Saturday: Montreal has excellent chances to win and come back to Montreal with a 2-0 lead.
- I’m surprised that Montreal won game 1.
- If I am Boudreau, I remind the players of the comeback the team made in 2009 in the first round against the Rangers. Use this as a wakeup call.
- What worries me about Ovie is that it’s not a 1-game thing. He hasn’t been the same since the Olympics. Bruce Boudreau will have to sit with him and have a serious talk.
- Lapierre’s line really impressed me.
During the Gérant d’estrades (Monday morning quarterbacks?) show, Jacques Thériault, Bernard Brisset and Jeremy Filosa go on and on. Some snippets:
- I originally said that the Caps would win in 5. I have to be logical and say that Washington will win Saturday. I hope that I’m wrong!
- Washington will win Saturday on a tight game.
Later in the day, call-in shows are lined-up where fan are likely to see the Canadiens knocking the Caps out of the playoffs!
- People are cautious; if Montreal wins Saturday, then there will be a huge hockey fever here.
- Ovie and Semin had terrible games. Backstrom and Knuble played really well.
- Apparently that Ovie’s personal doctor, from Russia, is in town and that if he’s there, there must be serious.
- Washington will win Saturday.
- In response to Theriault raving about some NHL team that is successfully building around young defensemen, he interrupts and says that Montreal banked on old fogies who were successful last night!
Photo credit: flickr/dan4th
Labels: Montreal Canadiens, Montreal French Media, Washington Capitals